Austin, known as the city of the "Violet Crown" for the wintertime violet glow of color across the hills at sunset - and for its DELTAS!
Sigma Sigma (Austin Alumnae) and Alpha Kappa Chapters of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. were established simultaneously on November 26, 1930 at Wesley United Methodist Church by the National President, Soror Anna J. Thompson. Sigma Sigma was the first black Greek letter organization with a graduate chapter in the city of Austin.
Charter members of Sigma Sigma are:
- Soror Maude Ella Garrett Tyree - (First President)
- Soror Gladys Brewer Miles - (Second President)
- Soror Harriette Brown Goff - (Sixth President)
- Soror Annie Lillie B. H. Armstrong - (First Secretary)
- Soror Arlyne B. Wyatt - (Served as President of San Antonio Alumnae)
- Soror Chrystine. Shackles - (Served as Regional Director)
- Soror June Brewer - (Served as Regional Director)
Two associate members were Mable Echols and Jannett Walker McNealy. These Sorors were confirmed into full membership at the 11th National Convention in 1931. Soror Christine Sellers Shackles was the first initiate of Sigma Sigma. By mandate of Grand Chapter, Sigma Sigma became Austin Alumnae in 1956. Austin Alumnae supports three collegiate chapters: Alpha Kappa at Huston-Tillotson University, founded 1930; Epsilon Beta at the University of Texas at Austin, founded 1960, and Iota Omega at Southwest Texas State University, founded 1973. Austin Alumnae provides advisors for each of these chapters and financial assistance as required or requested.